Being a native of Arizona makes me a rare and maybe endangered species. I grew up in the shadow of the Superstition Mountains with its legend of The Lost Dutchman’s Gold Mine. My not-so-productive youth was spent chasing lizards, snakes, and other critters all over the state. Additionally, I spent a great deal of time traveling the back country of the western US learning where and when to photograph nature and photograph wildlife.
I served in Law Enforcement for 32 years, retiring from the Arizona Game and Fish Department in 2007. Working for the Arizona Game & Fish Department gave me the opportunity to travel much of the back country in Arizona especially southeastern Arizona where I was stationed. Additionally I gained great knowledge of nature and wildlife including their habits and how to approach wildlife without them becoming alarmed.
I have been an avid nature photographer and wildlife photographer since 1985. I present photography workshops and lead photography tours for three nature and birding festivals in Arizona.
- Wings Over Willcox (“WOW”) is a winter birding festival featuring migratory birds such as eagles and Sandhill cranes;
- Southwest Wings is a summer birding festival highlighting neo-tropical migratory birds such as Elegant Trogons and Humming Birds;
- Verde Valley Birding Festival “Birdy Verdy” is a spring festival highlighting neo-tropical migratory and local birds.
I am a member of several professional organizations including:
- North American Nature Photography Association “NANPA”
- Outdoor Writers of America Association “OWAA”
- Photographic Society of America “PSA”
- Arizona Game Ranger Association “AGRA”
- Fraternal Order of Police “FOP”